Sunday, April 03, 2005

Country Roads

There is this really old country song ( even I don't know who sings it) that goes " Country roads, take me home, to the place I belong." I have always liked that song. I remember it from my own childhood in the country. My sister had the album and we used to sing it. It's funny how things come full circle, isn't it?
I guess I have always been a country girl. I love wide open spaces, fresh air, clothes lines, wildflowers, and the frequent sighting of cows. The country girl came to the city 4 years ago, because it was something I wanted to experience. We bought a house in a historic distric and live 3 blocks from the city center. I found it neat being able to walk everywhere, having the option of taking public transportation ( and actually doing so a couple of drunken nights), and being able to order take-out from anywhere. It's an experience I wanted to have. I wanted to live in a neighborhood, and experience having multiple neighbors. I am glad we did it, but I have reached my full circle. It's time to move back to the country.
I am in the process of looking for a job, and have applied to 3 schools, and 2 agencies in the Capital Region. I have also applied to school positions in Central New York. We have been looking at rural property both here in the Capital Region, which I really do like, and in Central NY. We are at a crossroads in our life and are only sure that we want to sell our house and buy an old country home with some land. Since coming to this conclusion, and we both feel the same way, it is like life makes sence again. It had stopped making sence here, and all the things we moved to this house for have been satisfied. We moved here for Brian to open the Half Moon store. Check. I was able to quit working full time and go to grad school, something harder to accomplish if I had to drive an hour or more to school. Check. It is time to move on to a bigger house, after all, the baby needs his own room, and to wide open spaces. A place where Brian can relax more and ease some of his stress. Maybe he would feel better?
My niece recently asked me " Aunt Deena, ( thats what she calls me) why do you live so far away? Kayana, that is a good question!
So, Country roads, take me home to the place I belong. West Virginia, mountain Mama, take me home, country roads.

No comments: