Sunday, May 07, 2006

Pay it Forward

I have always lived my life like this, paying it forward, being nice and doing random good stuff. I guess thats why, in high school, I got the "Good Kid Award." My professors invited me back to St. Rose last week to help students still in grad school in their job search. They held a "Go for the Job Night." I was one of the lucky ones that got a job last year, but I like to think it was because I worked my butt off, and really had it in my heart to get a job working with kids everyday. So I hopped on the thruway and went. Sure, it wasn't easy taking time out of my schedule and leaving my kids for the night, but I am glad I did it. I was very upbeat for the students, even thought the job outlook is grim. I had a hand out with job search tips, and I worked the room, answering questions, giving advice, dishing out a little hope. In the end, I am glad I did it. There were certainly other counselors that helped me in my job search, and if I gave just one person a little piece of advice that helps them get hired, and in turn they help kids for years to come, that is really cool!

No comments: