Monday, January 02, 2006

Money Honey

Now that I am just working, and not working, going to grad school and doing internships, I have more time on my hands. In the past 3 years I have been way to busy to really keep track ofour money. Fortunately, Brian and I are careful with it, but I would like it working for me a little more this year. So, in the past week, I have taken the bull by the horns. I opened a life insurance account for the baby and Anna ( Miranda has one), I opened up a UPromise Credit card, both to transfer another credit card to it to enjoy 0% interest for the year and pay down a balance quicker, and to cash in on the college savings rewards ( think 3 girls bound for college someday). I am filing a past claim for the teaching assistant job in Schenectady for 9 months of credit into the teaching retirement system ( I almost completely forgot about this), and I just enrolled in this keep the change thing with my debit card where the bank rounds my purchases up and deposits the change into my savings account. Cool!

Other goals include investing into Brian's 401K ( available to him after March), and getting my own 401B going ( this in addition to my retirement system, Brian's IRA, and a whole life policy should make retirement everything we want it to be).

OH! And for the next 2 years, 2006 and 2007, you can get a tax credit on any energy efficent improvements you make on your home. We are puling up the kitchen floor to insulate under it and put in a new floor. This will qualify as our first tax credit of the year! Sweet.

No comments: