Saturday, July 09, 2005

1960's Style

I have had my worse nightmare come true. 3 doors down from my house I have a new neighbor. He is a recently parolled Level 3 sexually violent offender. From his report, he raped 2 children, on more than one occasion, taking them by force. He did less than 2 years in prision and he's free. The apartment he lives in has children that live there.
From the moment I found out about him, I sprang into hippy mode. I wanted to protest, to hold signs, to enlist people to help, so I printed off his poster, duplicated it by the hundreds and went door to door in my neighborhood. I went up to every house in a 3 streete area to talk to people, hand out flyers, give an updated description of him, and to give out his landlords name and number so people could put some pressure on the people that brought this guy to my neighborhood. I ran out of flyers. I worked so hard, I had to come home to get water and rest. I hauled my 3rd trimester pregnant belly up countless steps. It felt so good to warn people. I felt that I had a duty to warn, and I am glad I did, people had no idea and there are quite a few kids on my block.
My friend Barb is a left over hippy, and I mean that in a good way. She is a little older and not afraid to demonstrate for things she believes in. Typically, she is passionate about making this a better city, saving cool old buildings ( like the birthplace of TV GE tore down. She tried so hard to save that beautiful historic building). She is often heading out with signs and her magaphone, and I really admire her. She goes to bat for what she believes in and has taught her daughter to do the same.
Miranda and Anna went with me on my one woman crusade to warn the neighbors. Miranda knew that this man hurt kids and that it was important we tell people. She was stuffing mailboxes ( illegal, I know), and showing people his photo just like I was. I wish more people did this, took care of eachother, bonded as neighbors, and banded together for common goals.
I am organizing a neighborhood meeting now, and the next step, since the landlords won't return our calls, is to head out to their house with some posters and embarass them in their fine little neighborhood. I just learned that if we stay peaceful, remain on the sidewalk, we can do this without getting arrested. Cool! More people should be left over hippys.

Peace out brother!

No comments: