Friday, November 26, 2004

City Sidewalks

I have never, in the history of me, gone shopping on Black Friday. Not really my idea of a good time. I do, however, kick of Christmas festivities in my own way today. Since I have moved to The Electric City and become a city girl I have started a tradition of my own. I like that this city has a downtown, events, and traditional holdiay happenings. For the past 3 years, I have wandered downtown to start my shopping. I shop at the locally owned artsy shops, looking for nicely made quality gifts that you just can't get at the big box stores that had the grab fests today. The area I shop at has a closed off street just for shopping, beautiful decorations, music playing and you can actually stroll and stop to chat with freinds and neighbors.
From there, we head to Proctors Theatre for the Festival of the Trees. I usually get inspired here to decorate and make my Christmas a classy one. The trees are stunning and it's fun to see what the theme or inspiration of each tree is. The money we paid at the door also goes to charity! Santa can be found here, too. This is news you need when you have 2 little girls.
The day ends at perhaps one of the oldest traditions in this old city, the Christmas Parade. This parade kicks off at 7pm and around 20,000 people will visit the city tonight to view this spectacular parade. The floats are usually illuminated and people take pride in their parade enteries. I look forward to this every year. It's been cold and rainy the past 2 years, but today has started mild and lovely! I am humming already....." City sidewalks, busy sidewalks, dressed in holiday style. In the air there's a feeling of Christmas."


No comments: