Saturday, November 20, 2004

Bah-Humbug

It's not that I am Scrooge and don't want to spend money on Christmas. It's that simply stated, Christmas has gotten out of hand. I grew up in the country and Christmas was pretty simple, and I loved it. A home grown tree, a big dinner with the entire extended family. there were church events, concerts at school, and a joyous Christmas vacation from school. That was enough for anybody.
Spring forward to 2004. The average family will spend well over $1000.00 bucks on just presents this year. Likely, it will be charged and the interest on that will take the total even higher. Our children have more toys then they know what to do with. Our homes are filled with so much "stuff" that dusting is a full time commitment. We have garage sales to get rid of the "stuff". We donate perfectly good toys to charity to make room for new toys. We sit around trying to come up with lists of stuff that we want for Christmas. The only thing I really want is one simple Christmas. No overcrowded malls brimming so full of people that it takes an hour to park and a shuttle bus to get you to the mall. No lists. No running around like a fool to get everything you need for Christmas. I want it to stop!!!
Santa, if you are listening, tell everone that buys me presents that I don't want anything this year. Replace it with time with my family. I want my girls to explore the true meaning of Christmas with less "wants" and more " I want to do". I want to bake things for the neighbors and have time to just say hello to them. I want a sleigh ride to the woods to get a Christmas tree. No running around, no stress, no stuff. I'd like no toys with batteries, but I think that would be too much to ask for! My goal is to spend less, and have more. More time, more love, more things I can do for other people.





1 comment:

J.P. said...

Dana I'm with you. Christmas has gotten completely out of hand and someone should do something about it. And while we're at it, let's save the Christmas lights for Christmas time. I don't need to see "GroundHog Day" lights or Halloween lights or a big blow up turkey on someone's front lawn. Let's save the merriment of twinkling lights for the Christmas tree and leave it at that.